Thursday, February 17, 2011

She had one eye





My friend's mother didn't have one eye. She lost her eye by an accident when she was little. I was in 2nd grade and he was in 1st grade. One day when we came back from school, he started crying. His mother asked him what is wrong? and he showed his painting to his mother. I could see the discomfort in her eye; she hugged him and told him that she will talk to his teacher tomorrow. He effaced the tears from his face and went outside to play with his friends.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed the painting from the ground and looked at the painting. He had to draw the face of one of the family members. He drew his mother's face with one eye and there was a black whole instead of other eye. There was 10 out of 20 under his painting with a note "Dear J.K you should be careful, all people have two eyes". My tears came out of my eyes. I hugged his mother and told her that I hate her son and he is so mean, he shouldn't draw you like that. She looked in my eyes and told me "don't cry, you shouldn't get mad of him, he is a boy; boys are more realistic than girls, they see everything as they really are but girls see everything as they like to see". Then she told me," it is better for you to learn how to draw your painting realistic not the way you like your painting to be". Next day we all went to school with J.K's mother, I exactly remember our art teacher's face when her mother was talking to him, he was so impressed and he just said one sentence " I am sorry, I didn't know". His mother said "I think 10 is a really low grade for being a realist kid” and our teacher said” Yes you are right". I saw J.K in the afternoon, he was so happy, he showed me his painting and there was a 20 instead of 10 on his painting. He looked at me and told me" I am a really good artist" and I said yes you are. Then I started crying, he asked me "why are you crying"? I said because I am a girl ;).
I learned two lessons that day:
1. To be a realistic person.
2. To never judge early about anything, you don't even know what problems people have.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story.
    Is this story a true story? I hope it is true.

    Narges, as you know, you do have problems with the English language; however, I am amazed with how well you write in English as your second language.

    I would like to work with you to help you get better at writing English. Please stay after class one day so we can discuss writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, It is.
    Ok, I will stay one day;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story. This story is wonderful. May I please share it with other teachers? With Ms. Warr, with Mr. Jackson?

    ReplyDelete